NOTA BENE: All creative writers submitting to Italian Americana must be of Italian heritage on one or both sides of their family. Please mention the connection in your cover letter or bio.
- Please send up to five unpublished poems in a single Word file, Times New Roman 11 point font.
- Your name, address, email address and phone number should appear on every page of the file.
- Begin the document with a short cover letter, including a bio of no more than 65 words for inclusion in our “Notes on Contributors” section. Please note that we may edit the bio according to space concerns.
- We welcome poems on any subject and have no special preference for Italian or Italian American themes.
- Because of space limitations, one-page poems are preferable, although two-page poems will be considered.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Please email the Word doc to Italian Americana at firstname.lastname@example.org. “Poetry/Your Last Name” should appear in the subject line.
- If your poetry is published in Italian Americana, please wait a year (two issues) before sending new work to be considered.
Fiction and Creative Nonfiction Submissions:
Italian Americana accepts previously unpublished submissions in the following categories:
- short story (fiction)
- creative nonfiction
- personal essay
(For differences between memoir and essay, please consult the Purdue Online Writing Lab.)
- Please read our current and past issues to familiarize yourself with our publication and the choices our editors have made. We welcome works that deal with Italian heritage and/or make explicit reference to elements of italianità. We also welcome submissions on other topics. Fine quality writing is our ultimate selection criterion.
- Submissions should be no more than 4,000 words
- Please email your Word doc to Italian Americana at email@example.com. The body of your email should include a brief biography about yourself (maximum of 65 words) for inclusion in our “Notes on Contributors” section in justified Times New Roman 11-pt font with your name in bold font, upper and lower case. Please note that we may edit the bio according to space concerns.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, and writers are required to extend the courtesy of letting us know that you are simultaneously submitting and immediately contact us if another magazine accepts your publication.
- Submissions must follow MLA formatting and style guidelines.
- Copy should be single-spaced in Times New Roman, 11 point font and with no line spaces between paragraphs and justified.
- Paragraphs should be denoted by using the Tab—not by inserting line spaces between paragraphs.
- Title should be Centered in Times New Roman, Italic 14-pt font, upper & lower case (prepositions should NOT be capitalized).
- Author’s NAME should be in all caps, Flush Right margin in bold 11-pt font.
- Author’s affiliation should be in Italics, upper and lower case 11-pt font Flush Right, immediately below the author’s name.
- Endnotes and/or Works Cited should be in justified bold italics 11-pt font, as done here and Flush Left margin.
- Notes and Works themselves should be in 9-pt font justified with no line spaces between items.
- Extended quotations should be indented at both Left and Right margins.
- Dashes should be in the form of an em-dash, made by hitting the hyphen twice with no space before or after hyphens, and done—like this. (On some programs, such as Word, the 2 hyphens become a dash.)
- Numbers from one to ten should be spelled out.
- We follow American, not English style for quotes so that punctuation should be within the quote marks, except for semi-colons, where the semi-colon should be placed outside the quote marks.
- Ellipses should be made by hitting space, period, space, period, space period, space, as follows: . . . ending with a space.
- No apostrophes in dates, unless it is a possessive: 1940s
- Please email the Word doc to Italian Americana at firstname.lastname@example.org. The body of your email should include a brief biography about yourself (maximum of 65 words) for inclusion in our “Notes on Contributors” section in justified Times New Roman 11-pt font with your name in bold font, upper and lower case. Please note that we may edit the bio according to space concerns.