PLEASE NOTE: All creative writers submitting to Italian Americana must be of Italian heritage on one or both sides of their family. It’s important to mention the connection in your cover letter or bio.
- Please send up to five unpublished poems in a single Word file, Times New Roman 11 point font.
- Your name, address, email address and phone number should appear on every page of the file.
- Begin the document with a short cover letter, including a bio of no more than 65 words for inclusion in our “Notes on Contributors” section. Please note that we may edit the bio according to space concerns.
- We welcome poems on any subject and have no special preference for Italian or Italian American themes.
- Because of space limitations, one-page poems are preferable, although two-page poems will be considered.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Please email the Word doc to Italian Americana at email@example.com. “Poetry/Your Last Name” should appear in the subject line.
- If your poetry is published in Italian Americana, please wait a year (two issues) before sending new work to be considered.
Fiction and Creative Nonfiction Submissions:
Italian Americana accepts previously unpublished submissions in the following categories:
- short story (fiction)
- creative nonfiction
- personal essay
(For differences between memoir and essay, please consult the Purdue Online Writing Lab.)
- Please read our current and past issues to familiarize yourself with our publication and the choices our editors have made. We welcome works that deal with Italian heritage and/or make explicit reference to elements of italianità. We also welcome submissions on other topics. Fine quality writing is our ultimate selection criterion.
- Submissions should be no more than 4,000 words
- Please email your Word doc to Italian Americana at firstname.lastname@example.org. The body of your email should include a brief biography about yourself (maximum of 65 words) for inclusion in our “Notes on Contributors” section in justified Times New Roman 11-pt font with your name in bold font, upper and lower case. Please note that we may edit the bio according to space concerns.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, and writers are required to extend the courtesy of letting us know that you are simultaneously submitting and immediately contact us if another magazine accepts your publication.
- Submissions must follow MLA formatting and style guidelines.
- Copy should be single-spaced in Times New Roman, 11 point font and with no line spaces between paragraphs and justified.
- Paragraphs should be denoted by using the Tab—not by inserting line spaces between paragraphs.
- Title should be Centered in Times New Roman, Italic 14-pt font, upper & lower case (prepositions should NOT be capitalized).
- Author’s NAME should be in all caps, Flush Right margin in bold 11-pt font.
- Author’s affiliation should be in Italics, upper and lower case 11-pt font Flush Right, immediately below the author’s name.
- Endnotes and/or Works Cited should be in justified bold italics 11-pt font, as done here and Flush Left margin.
- Notes and Works themselves should be in 9-pt font justified with no line spaces between items.
- Extended quotations should be indented at both Left and Right margins.
- Dashes should be in the form of an em-dash, made by hitting the hyphen twice with no space before or after hyphens, and done—like this. (On some programs, such as Word, the 2 hyphens become a dash.)
- Numbers from one to ten should be spelled out.
- We follow American, not English style for quotes so that punctuation should be within the quote marks, except for semi-colons, where the semi-colon should be placed outside the quote marks.
- Ellipses should be made by hitting space, period, space, period, space period, space, as follows: . . . ending with a space.
- No apostrophes in dates, unless it is a possessive: 1940s
- Please email the Word doc to Italian Americana at email@example.com. The body of your email should include a brief biography about yourself (maximum of 65 words) for inclusion in our “Notes on Contributors” section in justified Times New Roman 11-pt font with your name in bold font, upper and lower case. Please note that we may edit the bio according to space concerns.